Okay, I now have some time to write a real blog post. Even though I had been visiting Jur in Amsterdam, I was pretty busy, and hadn't really had the time to sit down on her computer to write a long post. I'm now in Brussels at Emily's mother's friend's home and everyone is sleeping... so here goes.
The plane ride over wasn't so bad. Emily and I kind of skipped a night's sleep getting to Amsterdam, but hey, it's to be expected. Nothing too eventful coming out to Europe, other than our stopover in Reykjavik, Iceland. We were only there for about an hour and a half, so I asked the girl working at the Duty-free shop to point me out a "typical Icelandic beverage" to bring to Jur as a gift. And so I purchased Brennivin (meaning "black death" in Icelandic, a type of vodka-like drink), and hopped back onto the plane.
Jur met us at the airport and took us back to her place to dump our stuff. She lives in an apartment building with her father, but her room is technically a storage area, and so to access the bathroom, kitchen, or anything else, we would need to get into her father's locked apartment... hence why we had to find alternate places to stay. I'm not going to do an entire detailed update of everything I've done every day (mostly because I didn't write every little thing down), but I'll tell you a bit about Amsterdam.
It was awesome. The city is filled with canals, bikes, and all-around fantastic people. We did rent bikes for a day, and Jur showed us all over the city, pointing out her university, the Red Light district, all of her favorite Burgermeesters, and popular tourist areas. I felt so lucky to have known someone from the city, because I felt like I got so much better of a tour of the city than typical tourists who come to visit and don't leave the renound "coffee shops." I met all of Jur's friends, and learned many Dutch phrases (most of which I won't say in this blog). I celebrated a Netherlands World Cup victory with a bar full of non-tourists, and ate so many made-special-for-me burgers made by new friends at Burgermeester. I hung out in the Vondelpark on a sunny day drinking Hertog Jan and Jupiler. All in all, I knew that it was going to be a hard city to top, but onward I moved anyway.
I'm now spending my last night in Belgium, so another post is coming very soon. Onto Paris tomorrow night, more info to come!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

I guess Amsterdam just made a leap onto my must-see list. Looking forward to hearing about Brugghes, Brussels and Paris;.
ReplyDeleteBrennevin is disgusting, but, yes, definitely Icelandic. The two are not mutually exclusive.
ReplyDeleteYea, I wanna make it out to the Amsterdam but I've always been curious about Paris too. Tell me how the food is!
ReplyDeleteAlso, your blogposts are turning into narratives so I think that you should just write all of them as if it were a novel. You know, pump them full of drama and excitement and big words. Or just go with whatever.